Sunday, September 23, 2007

When there's nothing else to eat... Muffins!






I am officially sick of ham and cheese sandwiches! I think I've had a ham and cheese sandwich at least once every day for the past week, ok ok I admit one day I had ham, cheese and tomato! So finding that once again there was nothing interesting in the fridge and feeling very hungry I decided to make some muffins. It's a fool proof recipe I've adapted for my students at school.
In a bowl put
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 pinch salt
and anything you like for flavour
stir and pour!
I didn't realise till this afternoon that I have become a better 'simple-everyday-meals' cook since becoming a special needs teacher. We do a lot of cooking in our class and I have to keep things really simple, sticking to recipes that one could make quickly and eat everyday. By nature I like to cook elaborate meals, I like to challenge myself with unusual flavour combinations and techniques but now I've had to learn to get back to basics and being able to whip up a batch of muffins for lunch today really made me appreciate this new approach to cooking. Though the irony to this story is that I only had CHEESE and HAM in the fridge so instead of cheese and ham sandwiches I ate cheese and ham muffins ahhhhhh!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Put the kettle on, I'm on my way..... Oh and thanx for the recipe, I'm copying this one to try! xxx