Thursday, September 27, 2007

In My Skin- Kate Holden



I am onto my second book that I have been meaning to read for a while now. It's Kate Holden's Under My Skin, which is an autobiography/memoir about Kate's life on the streets of St Kilda as a hooker and heroin addict. It's so weird reading it because I know St Kilda and the other places in Melbourne that she writes about. Even though she doesn't name places only streets I know by their reputation and physical description which places she is talking about. Usually the stuff I read is based in America or England so to have something set in my own home city/town it's really weird. Well I must say it's a one night read because it just reads so well and you don't want to put it down. There are times I wish I could just slap Kate out especially when she describes going straight from rehab to her dealer instead of home. I think you f^&$* idiot! Anyhow its an interesting read and very straight and honest account of one woman's life on the streets. What's best is she doesn't play the victim and talks about her inner thoughts regarding what she was doing. It's no Pretty Woman fairy tale that's forsure.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

In My Skin is a fabulous book, I read it a while back and was very inspired by her story. I too am in Melbourne, where are you? xxx