Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Mini Me Cake Topper

I have been at it again, making stuff for our wedding. This time I've been making our cake toppers. We wanted these cute birds from Etsy but we can't afford the $150.00 although I do think they are worth it. So instead I'm making another set of little people like I made for my sister's wedding.

Here is a photo of my mini me. I like the end product but she is a bit broken. Her head is lose and luckly there is a toothpick holding it on. She's also been glued back together having fallen and broken in two from the waist. You can see the crack around her middle if you look at her from the back but since that won't really be visible I'm not going to worry about it. All I need to do now is to make her a REALLY long veil which I'll make out of touli. Best part about her is that she has little red shoes like I'll be wearing!!!!!

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Top of the Cake

Just a bit more progress on the cupcake stand this weekend. Just need to figure out how to incorporate some red into the cake. Red flowers on top?, red flowers scattered in between cupcake or glazed cherries on top of every large cupcake. (only top layer will have mini cupcakes)

Also bought the maid of honour's dress but need to return it as I noticed this morning that there were some pulled threads in the skirt. Will post a photo of that when I swap it.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pringle Containers and Wrapping Ribbon?

It seems we have solved the wedding cupcake stand issue and we've done so with empty Pringle containers, a bit of plaster, liquid nails and silver wrapping ribbon. Who would have thought? At the moment we are waiting for the liquid nail glue to dry so hopefully that will dry and set hard.
If all works out this 5 layered stand would have cost us around $60.00 Aus dollars. I just love the silvery goodness.

So far this is the best example of cupcakes I have found on the net with the colour scheme I am going for. We have bought both blue and silver metallic cupcake patties but we are not sure which ones we will use. Chocolate mud cake is looking like a winner for the cupcakes but something with Bailies also sounds good.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

First of the Bridesmaid Dresses

I have spent most of my last two weekends attempting to make one of the bridesmaid dresses. The pattern is from Vogue and you can see it in the previous post. I must say it was a bit of a challenge. I've never made anything with lining AND interfacing. I'm also usually hopeless with darts as well but this time I marked them properly and based them before sewing.

The dress is made out of navy sateen. As you can see it will be accessorized with red shoes and red earrings as well as a bouquet of red flowers. I now have just one more of these to make and then another one in a different pattern for my maid of honour.

Yes I am busy busy busy!