Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Sewing Shirts for My Man


I have nearly finished sewing my first male shirt! Just some cuffs and buttons and it's done. This one is of course for my darling Axel, although after our discussion tonight sounds like the sleeves will be too short for him, and maybe the length of it too. Damn 6 foot 3 inch men, just make sewing life more difficult hehehehe! Anyhow I told him I'd finish it and send it to him, he can try it on and then tell me if it needs longer sleeves etc.




I have to admit it's been tricky sewing this shirt. The collar was easy to make but hard to sew onto the actual shirt. The shirt has a double yoke as well but that wasn't so hard to work out actually. Putting the buttons on the collar and on the cuffs has got me worried, actually just doing button holes on the front makes me nervous. I have an automatic button hole maker on my machine but sometimes it stuffs up so that doesn't help me much.


I've bought some other shirt material, more 'evening wear' material. The top one is for me quite expensive 18$ per meter and I needed 3 because it's narrow. The other stuff was on special 6$. I'm saving the expensive stuff until I'm more experienced. The shirt above is actually made from fabric that was on sale, down to 3$ per meter so all up including thread and buttons, interfacing it will cost about 16$ a bargain hehehehe.

Anyhow I sent Axel these photos and he likes the fabrics very much which is good to know. We will just have to see how the top one fits before I go and make the others. Will keep you all posted!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Wow, great work! You have a lot of sewing talent : )